Walking is an excellent way to keep healthy and flexible and to meet with like minded people. Hiking Group 4 is a very friendly and lively group and you are certain to make new friends.
Walks take place once a month on the third Wednesday of the month. Occasionally, that date may change. Walks start in the morning usually between 09:30 and 10:30. Members take a snack, picnic lunch, drink. The walk often ends at a pub or a café for a drink and chat.
Walks are generally 5 to 8 miles long. A reasonable level of fitness is required because some of the walks can be fairly challenging and strenuous with stiles, ascents and descents of varying levels of difficulty, and terrain can be muddy.
Walks are circular, starting and ending at the same point and are sometimes accessible by bus. For members who want to come by car there should be parking available nearby, (there may be a charge for this). Members are encouraged to car-share.
● Walking Boots or suitable shoes giving good ankle support.
● Thick socks
● Waterproof jacket and trousers
● Summer hat and sunscreen, insect spray
● Woollen hat for Winter, scarf and gloves
● Walking pole(s) (optional) for use on hilly or slippery ground
● Bottle of cold drink/water, own snacks, picnic
● Members must lead a walk, preferably in pairs, once a year at least;
● Only current U3A members are allowed on walks for insurance reasons; guests can walk with the Convenor's permission to try out the group at their own risk;
● No children or dogs are allowed;
● Membership is restricted to 22 members for practical reasons.
For further information please contact Carol, our convenor at the address below: